Buzzings from a quilter who bumbles her way through life!

Saturday, April 16, 2011

What Kind of Hummingbird Are You?

 
It has been spring here in South Texas for the last 2 months. The hummingbirds have been busier than usual, perhaps as a result of the drought. We didn't have the wildflowers this year for them to feast on, so they have flocked to my feeders in record number. I think you can only find 6 (you can click on the photo to enlarge it and find them) in this picture, but there were 20 of them swarming around these feeders this morning. (I spooked them when I came out to take a picture.)That doesn't count the 8 that were sitting on a feeder across the patio. I have been refilling at least one feeder every day now. I filled these three yesterday afternoon! My sugar bill will be higher than my water bill if this keeps up! It's worth it, though, to watch them. 
They are like people in some ways - there's a bully in every group who claims the feeder as his own and guards it jealously. He dive bombs any interlopers that might come by, chattering loudly the whole time! Then there are the birds who don't seem to mind in the least sharing with others.
Some seem to be constantly flitting around. They find a place to perch and  stay there between "snacks". Did you know that hummingbirds also eat bugs, including mosquitoes? As far as I'm concerned, I get my money's worth from them. I will buy all the sugar I need to buy until they move farther south to Mexico in the late fall.
I like to think that most quilters are like the hummingbirds that share. I have not met a quilter yet who will not share her knowledge and encouragement. Most quilters LOVE getting their friends into quilting. Our great grandmothers even shared the labor during quilting bees, helping their friends finish the quilts that would keep families warm during harsh winters. 
(I won't mention the sugar. There are some comparisons there, too, for most of us.) 
"Lord, the eyes of all look to you  and you give them their food at the proper time.. You open your hand and satisfy the desires of every living thing." Psalm 145: 14

8 comments:

  1. What a treat to have all those hummingbirds visit your yard! We don't get very many in my yard, if ever even one. Enjoy them extra for me?! :-)

    I am definitely a sharing hummingbird though I tend to divebomb anyone who tries to harm my friends! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the photo of all your hummingbirds. i livein Australia so have only seen a couple of hummingbirds when I lived in CT for a few years but i think they are magical little things. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed working with you during Shop Hop, Linda! Wonderful photos of the hummingbirds!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I watch my hummingbirds from my kitchen window. They are magical creatures. I don't know anyone who doesn't like them. I think sometimes I am the one who flits around between snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely photo. Those hummingbirds are just so tiny! I'd love to see them for real!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love hummingbirds... although we don't have them here in Australia... but I see them in Canada when I visit family! Just love watching them hover... it's amazing! Nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to watch hummingbirds...too early for them here (NC)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe how many hummingbirds! Haven't seen any here in a long time.

    ReplyDelete

You can leave your comment here! (I'm so sorry, but if you are an Anonymous commenter, your comment will not publish. This is because of the huge amounts of spam that I have received from anonymous sources.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...